With a .308, using Berger boat tail bullets, the unit would track about 70 to 85 yards down range. Most of the testing was done at the Midland County Sportsman’s Club’s 300 yard line. That yard line sits about 3’ off the surrounding ground and virtually all of the tracking info generated there shows that it is tracking .30 boat tail bullets out to about 70 yards. The 600 yard line sits about 10 feet over the surrounding ground. From that firing point, the unit was tracking out 80 to 85 yards. There may well be other factors involved, but the height of the firing point over the surrounding area seemed to be the only difference to me.
There are a lot of settings on the unit. The user manual is well written, but it still took a while to figure everything out. The main problem I had was navigation from the settings menu to the series menu and back to the ready screen. I missed it at first, but the ‘Arm’ button is also a ‘mode’ button when it is pressed for a couple seconds. Learning that made navigating the system much easier.
For units sold in the USA, there are two radar power settings. I used the unit in both the Standard and Low power setting. It operated fine on both settings and it seemed to read out to the same distance in either setting. The only difference I could see in the two power settings is that Standard setting had a little better Signal to Noise Ratio. You can find that info in the tracking files, which I will discuss below. The low power setting will extend battery life, which is helpful, because it does drain batteries fairly quick.
I spent some time trying to get it to trigger at lower sensitivities and was unsuccessful. Even with a .300 RUM, it would only trigger at Level 1. Level 1 is most sensitive, Level 5 is least. I sent an email to Labradar asking about this and received a response the next day offering a variety of advice. I continued to correspond over the next few days and am very happy with the company’s willingness to help.
Before I sat down to write this article I had a conversation with them about the sensitivity issue. I was concerned that it might be a physical problem with my unit. But it turns out that sensitivity is controlled by the firmware and they are tweaking things and sending out updates as needed. The issue of sensitivity is a challenging problem for their engineers. They are trying to balance many possible situations. They need the unit to work with a .22LR and with a .300 Win Mag and everything in between.
I decided to put my unit to the test with two rifles set up in near proximity to see if it would pick up shots from the neighboring rifle. My .308 was set up normally, close to the unit and a few rounds were fired to make sure it was triggering and tracking. A friend of mine brought his .300 Remington Ultra Magnum and set up 4’ away from the unit. His rifle has a muzzle brake making it a worst case scenario to test for a neighbor triggering the unit. At 4’, it triggered every time, but it did not track. I slightly realigned the unit so that is was directed at a target on the opposite side of his position. The goal being to move the radar cone across his bullet trajectory to get it to track his shots. We were unable to get it to track.